11/08/2016 02:19 PM
11/08/2016 02:19 PM
Bemidji
WalleyeWyatt Offline OP
Ice Team Member
WalleyeWyatt  Offline OP
Ice Team Member

Bemidji
I have a Frabill Trekker DLX and im wondering the best way to light my shanty? thinking of going the LED strip route but unsure. What do you guys use?

A college student chasing down slabs
Re: Flip over Shanty Lighting [Re: WalleyeWyatt] #526
11/09/2016 10:14 PM
11/09/2016 10:14 PM
T
timsirek Offline
Ice Team Member
timsirek  Offline
Ice Team Member
T

I would go with a Clam light bar. It comes with hooks to attach to your frame temporarily, or can be permanently mounted. I googled your shack and it looks like your peak frame section might be too far back to mount lights on, and the front one may be better. You don't want the lights shining in your eyes either. I would buy the light bar that matches your pole sizes (Clam makes two different ones) and use the hooks your first time out so you can move it between frame sections and adjust the angle. once you figure out what works for you, permanently mount it.

Re: Flip over Shanty Lighting [Re: WalleyeWyatt] #528
11/10/2016 12:43 PM
11/10/2016 12:43 PM
G
gutshot_again Offline
Ice Team Member
gutshot_again  Offline
Ice Team Member
G

I use the LED light strips off of Amazon. Less than $10 for a 16 foot strip including shipping, waterproof and pretty tough. Can cut the strips up about as short as you want, runs off a flasher battery. I've used 2 of these LED strips for better than 12 hours off a dedicated flasher battery and battery wasn't even close to being used up as a test. In a two man flip over, 1 strip will do it with plenty of lighting - in fact too much so I cut it down.

To mount, I've put velco strips around my poles (velco stays in place) and then just carry a couple cut down strips. Mount easy and fast and they don't get hosed up that way.

Harbor Freight has 3/4" x 35' velco strips for under $10. Only they don't call it velco - the call it hook & loop.

Re: Flip over Shanty Lighting [Re: WalleyeWyatt] #533
11/11/2016 11:21 AM
11/11/2016 11:21 AM
MN
Wavs Offline
Ice Team Member
Wavs  Offline
Ice Team Member

MN
I have used Hitlights to order my LEDs. Use a SMD5050 waterproof coolwhite LED for best results. You can use the high density if you want a ton of light, regular density is good. I used the regular. Most of the LED manufacturers have people there to help you with the extras you will need - wire, connectors etc. Remember, if you order waterproof, you need to remove the silicone covering over the LED's. You can use a utility knife to cut down to the strip. You can go as crazy as you want with the design - switches, alligator clips are all acceptable.

Re: Flip over Shanty Lighting [Re: WalleyeWyatt] #754
12/10/2016 12:02 AM
12/10/2016 12:02 AM
M
Mnfishing13 Offline
Ice Team Member
Mnfishing13  Offline
Ice Team Member
M

Hauling a clam scout, I used the large led sled lights clam sells and found that if I attached one too the pole and one to the sled, it lit the fishing area well. I do recommend that you use small self taping screws to go through one side of the pole, brother did this after i did and saved time, it also looked cleaner than going through the hole pole, do use included nuts and bolts for sled though. I had my dad make a battery box and ran the wires down the pole to a switch and a battery, I bought a vexilar at the show and just got my fish house, now all I need is ice