Ice Team Forum

Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear

Posted By: Sacha

Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 09/22/2016 09:49 AM

I was wondering if this forum should have a thread for people to share and show off things they've either made or adapted to save money or to simplify their time on the ice. I have several things I could ad. When not ice fishing, I like to tinker and make.
Posted By: Matt Johnson

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 09/22/2016 04:05 PM

Absolutely! I like the idea... I will add something to that degree for both shelters and gear... coming within minutes so hold tight smile
Posted By: Matt Johnson

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 09/22/2016 04:08 PM

I just added the new forum "Trick Your Trap... And Gear!!" if you want to check it out! Have fun!
Posted By: Sacha

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 09/22/2016 04:11 PM

Awesome thanks. I look forward to posting pics.
Posted By: Frank L Campbell

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 10/29/2016 10:32 PM

I have an old one man scout and here in Nebraska the wind probably averages fifteen to twenty mph. To fight wind lift when inside, I bought ankle/wrist weights. I carry them both in the topper for variable winds up to near 25 one is enough, for 30 or 40 mph i throw both in. When inside i put one on the lowest tube side to the ground and slide it forward, if needed I put the other on the other side. This really helps keep the fish trap closed. I have fished this way in 30 to 45mph winds and do not have to hold on to keep the trap closed. Now if I could keep the buddy heater from blowing out on those windy days?
Posted By: Jim Kusuda

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 10/30/2016 09:38 AM

Posted By: WalleyeWyatt

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 10/30/2016 11:57 AM

Awesome idea!

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/01/2016 10:49 PM

Thanks Jim.
Posted By: gutshot_again

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/02/2016 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By Frank L Campbell
I have an old one man scout and here in Nebraska the wind probably averages fifteen to twenty mph. To fight wind lift when inside, I bought ankle/wrist weights. I carry them both in the topper for variable winds up to near 25 one is enough, for 30 or 40 mph i throw both in. When inside i put one on the lowest tube side to the ground and slide it forward, if needed I put the other on the other side. This really helps keep the fish trap closed. I have fished this way in 30 to 45mph winds and do not have to hold on to keep the trap closed. Now if I could keep the buddy heater from blowing out on those windy days?

Last couple years I've been carrying an old logging chain in the pickup. I lay this around the skirt when the wind kicks up or if there's little to no snow. Does a pretty decent job.
Posted By: timsirek

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/03/2016 06:10 PM

In my old fishtrapII I sewed a chain permanently into the skirt. With my current Jason Mitchell Yukon, I just face the back of the tub into the wind and put all of the braces in between frame sections.
Posted By: IUBUTCH

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/17/2016 10:47 PM

I made up a few battery boxes to help power my led lights in my shanty as well as keep power to electronics. I got some 12v 7.2 amp batteries just like the ones in the flashers from the place where I work. They were emergency light batteries that were being replaced but still functional. Got boxes at harbor freight for $5 and used old Christmas tree light outlets along with a USB port. I have another box that has outlet, USB and cigarette plug. Push buttons from radio shack for $1. USB & cig port from amazon for $4 or so as well. all in about $12 each. Works pretty well. Ill try to add an image or two
Posted By: Normie4210

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/21/2016 03:03 PM

Hi Frank... How many lbs would you say the ankle weights are?

Thanks....

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/21/2016 03:05 PM

Hi Frank ... How many lbs would you say the ankle weights are?

Thanks...

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/21/2016 06:00 PM

5lbs each, use one for 15 or 20 mph, both for 25 mph and over..

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/21/2016 07:05 PM

Awesome... I'll go out and get a few used ones from play it again sports... Again thanks for the info and the idea..

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 11/21/2016 07:08 PM

One other question... Do think the 5lbs will be enough on the otter pro lodge or should I go up to a 10 lb?

Thanks ...

Re: Hacks, Tinkers, and Homemade Gear - 12/05/2016 07:24 PM

The more canvas catching wind ,perhaps more weight needed, perhaps not if back to the wind.
© 2024 Ice Team Forums