Ice Team Forum

Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year

Posted By: UFCreel

Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/11/2016 11:03 AM

So what are they?
Posted By: Jim Kusuda

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/11/2016 08:56 PM

I am interested in the Snow Drop XL jig. It has a textured crystal finish and a large hook.
Posted By: Tod Todd

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/12/2016 08:47 AM

• Coated in super-fine crystals reflect light and give off an icy glow
• Tungsten bodies ensure faster, more aggressive sink rates
• XL extra-sharp, heavy-wire hook sets into the slabs with ease
• Large tying eye for ease of use with cold hands

Coated in super-fine crystals, Clam Outdoors' Snow Drop Jig XL reflects light during the day and in shallow water while also giving off an icy glow down deep. Tungsten bodies are more dense than lead, ensuring faster, more aggressive sink rates and control in wind and current. XL extra-sharp, heavy-wire hook sets into the slabs with ease while the barbs prevent your bait from being ripped off. Large tying eye for ease of use with cold hands. Wide gap provides a better hook up rate.
Sizes: 1/32 oz./#10, 1/16 oz./#8.
Colors: (001)Green Apple, (003)Watermelon Candy, (004)Blue Banana, (005)Blue Raspberry, (007)Sour Cherry, (009)Lemon Drop.

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/14/2016 09:01 AM

I also love the Drop Kick jig, caught a lot of bluegills early last season. Had to get away from my favorite loop knot to tie it properly so that it looked good jigging.
Posted By: Smapple

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/22/2016 09:15 AM

Orange tungsten jig with a transparent artificial gummy bait, never caught so many large crappie and gills in my life!

Can't wait! Right around the corner..
Posted By: UFCreel

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/22/2016 10:01 AM

Thanks guys. Jim I have been using the long rods. That we talked about several years ago. Tod I am Chris L uncle. Have met you several times out on Delavan. I mostly use the long rods now. With Fiskas and plastics from Joe Plastic from Racine. I am just looking for some new jigs and presentations for long roofing crappie. Here's to good ice all season long. Thanks Charlie.
Posted By: Myfavcolorisblue

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/22/2016 11:13 AM

I am a big fan in the duckbill drop jig. I prefer the pink, but there's something about that forward thrust every time you jig it, it gets the gills and crappies going plus the near horizontal presentation is key.
Posted By: Polardog

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/22/2016 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By Tod Todd
...Tungsten bodies are more dense than lead, ensuring faster, more aggressive sink rates and control in wind and current. XL extra-sharp, heavy-wire hook sets into the slabs with ease while the barbs prevent your bait from being ripped off...

+1 with the tungsten and XL hook!

I love to use the Dingle Drop XL in either chartreuse blue or pink glow, usually baited with a waxie or spikes and I've hooked into some large gills and crappies the last two years with this setup
Posted By: Scott O.

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/23/2016 09:54 AM

Last year, the Drop Kick was the winner for every panfish species in red paired with a red Maki Jamei for me. Even caught a few lakers on the combo!

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/23/2016 08:48 PM

Hey UFC, I think you had a couple of competitors in the NAIFC from Genoa City? Believe me, when certain fishing situations dictate, the long rods can score!
Posted By: mstein7

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/28/2016 08:43 AM

I have found a couple of jigs that are tried and true:

The Dingle Drop from Clam is deadly when paired with spikes. This has been a go-to when I am marking fish, but they won't bite.

The Alien Grub from Expedition Outdoors with a Micro-Nuggie from little atom is a great place to start. Usually it will be my first drop. I love the profile and action.
Posted By: Kevan Paul

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 09/29/2016 10:22 PM

Pink Matdi with a Pink Caviar will be my goto. Guaranteed to catch slabs! HAHA
Posted By: Frank L Campbell

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 10/16/2016 04:59 PM

Here in Nebraska, I like a horizontal jig with a pink, white, black or blue plastic, usually pink or white will produce. A grub body with a thin tail is my go to for years, lotsa confidence. A wedge plastic on a vertical spoon is a nice change up. In community areas I like a small tungsten #14 or #16 hook with a wedgee or spikee type tail. Tell the truth crappie are not usually that negative in our shallow lakes in SE Nebraska and can probably catch them on traditional crappie tubes too, but the smaller ice type baits ring up the gills better and still catch crappie too.

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/13/2016 08:31 PM

Hey guys, going to revive an old thread. I got out today for first ice and tried the Snow Drop XL with a Maki plastic and one spike (for confidence) I drove the hook into the roof of his mouth past the barb, no way was it coming off. Of course, released with a big thanks for the ride!

Posted By: JoeyWilley

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/13/2016 11:18 PM

I'm excited to try out the Guppy Flutter spoon!
Posted By: Glassth

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/13/2016 11:39 PM

The big question is what lake???

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/15/2016 12:09 AM

First ice areas in Dane county are pretty small, so I don't want to tick off the people that are fishing. But if you see my seminars I do give out some spots. What lakes do you like for mid-winter?
Posted By: Tod Todd

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/15/2016 08:52 AM

Nice fish Jim
Posted By: Polardog

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/16/2016 11:05 AM

+1 for the Dingle Drop XL... just couldn't seem to beat that jig last year. Also, later in the season I switched to small spoons like the Rattlin' blade spoon as well Northland's Tungsten Sliver Spoon.

Always tip with spikes in the past, but can't wait to try out some Maki plastics this year especially the new Bloodi worm.
Posted By: Scott Seibert

Re: Hot jigs for crappie this upcomming year - 12/17/2016 10:18 AM

Red drop kick with a White Red Flake Maki Mino XL works great for me.
© 2024 Ice Team Forums