Ice Team Forum

Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill?

Posted By: Utgrousehunter

Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/24/2016 10:10 AM

Curious...

1)Do you take the battery off your drill and stow it in a pocket or somewhere else warm when not drilling holes in the ice?
2) Do you leave the battery on the drill and exposed to the weather when not drilling?

Just thinking it might conserve battery life on a really cold day to take the battery off and stow it in a warmer place.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Posted By: Jim Kusuda

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/24/2016 11:23 AM

You have to protect the connection from ice and snow, so I leave a battery on the drill when I'm fishing. My spare(s) are in an insulated bag with food and things that I don't want frozen. I microwave 16 oz. water bottles, one minute times the number of bottles then put them in.
Posted By: Utgrousehunter

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/24/2016 01:48 PM

Thanks Jim...great advice!
Posted By: flyguyskt

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/28/2016 08:49 PM

I keep mine in my inside pocket. Big difference in amount of holes drilled.
Posted By: miller

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/29/2016 10:17 AM

thank you for the advise i have the clam drill plate with a dewalt drill and i leave one on the drill and keep the other battery in my shack to keep it warmer.
Posted By: WalleyeWyatt

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/29/2016 12:44 PM

I keep my battery on the drill but i always point the battery up and off the ice. I dont think the Milwaukee red lithiums are sensitive to the cold much.
Posted By: Iceman10

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/29/2016 06:26 PM

I leave my battery on my fuel drill . I have 2 batteries and keep the second one in a ziplock bag in my shanty .
Posted By: JoeyWilley

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 12/31/2016 01:27 AM

I keep mine in my pocket with a hand warmer. I've found that I get quite a few more holes that way.
Posted By: Chuck Mason

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/10/2017 03:25 PM

I keep mine on the drill, to keep any moisture out, and then have my spares in a soft sided cooler with a couple of handwarmers thrown in to keep things warm.
Posted By: Scott O.

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/10/2017 07:13 PM

I take mine off and throw it in the inner pocket of my Ice Armor top on the colder days. If its above 15 degrees, I leave it on and haven't noticed any difference. But when I do have it off, I have the connection facing up to keep snow out of it.
Posted By: Perch-Eye

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/14/2017 01:49 PM

I like the idea of keeping the extra in a baggie with handwarmers.

Ken........
Posted By: Mnfishing13

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/17/2017 11:04 PM

I keep mine off the drill in a small plastic cooler in my fish house, it definetly helps
Posted By: Bernie Keefe

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/18/2017 08:01 PM

It depends on the weather, if I am moving a lot and its fairly warm I leave mine on the drill. If its -30 I keep mine in my pocket.
Posted By: Craig Oyler

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/19/2017 10:27 AM

I leave my battery in the drill, but keep spares in a cooler. I've thought about using a Velcro tape attached to the bottom of the battery and seeing if a hand warmer would "stick" to that. I've only gotten as far as thinking about though, haven't tested yet. Lol
Posted By: Campy

Re: Drill Batteries - Keep 'em On or Off the Drill? - 01/23/2017 01:34 PM

I recently purchased a ion 10" drill bit and after drilling 8 holes, it turned into a big ice ball around the cutting ice blades! I then contacted ion customer service and was told that there was a bad batch of coating on the drill bit area so they had me send the bit back and they sent me a new one which works great and doesn't ice up at all! So if anyone has this problem, don't give up on this auger just contact them!
© 2024 Ice Team Forums