Ice Team Forum

Best ice hut

Posted By: IceFishinWyoming

Best ice hut - 11/21/2016 05:34 PM

I'm looking to buy a new hut for the winter.. Any recommendations on what to get?
Posted By: Scott O.

Re: Best ice hut - 11/21/2016 06:54 PM

Are you talking about a hub or a flip-over sled?

Re: Best ice hut - 11/21/2016 08:02 PM

Preferably a flip over.. I just don't know what brand is superior or what to look for
Posted By: Lookincalifornia

Re: Best ice hut - 11/21/2016 08:16 PM

When i got my one man flip over, I looked at width, weight, square footage, and fishable area. I have an Eskimo, the clam and frabill seem to be much more comfortable. It came down to price for me. If money were not an issue, I'd get a clam thermal

Re: Best ice hut - 11/21/2016 08:19 PM

Well my friend had a clam flip over and the second time he used it the stitching tore and had practically fallen apart so I wasn't sure if clams just didn't have the quality I was looking for or if he had a bad one. I appreciate the help
Posted By: Scott O.

Re: Best ice hut - 11/23/2016 05:46 PM

Sounds like he may have just gotten a bad one. I've had nothing but good experiences with Clam. My dad has run a two-man Clam Voyageur for almost 8 years now and it's still going strong with no tears or other issues. I myself have been running the Legend for going on four years now and absolutely love it. Full thermal covering, very comfy seat, loads of room to move around. No issues for me either. What features are you looking for in a flip-over?
Posted By: Bear

Re: Best ice hut - 11/27/2016 08:37 PM

I have a kenai pro thermal. I love it easy to load in the truck. I am 6'6 350lbs I have lots of room.
Posted By: jbuss79

Re: Best ice hut - 11/28/2016 12:04 PM

I had a Frabill for awhile. On a trip out, it was below zero cold and windy and the zipper blew out. One of the bars on the frame broke next trip out.

Before last season, I got a Clam Nanook thermal. It's big enough to fish two comfortably. It's small enough to drag myself if I'm fishing alone and loads easy. Same conditions as when my Frabill broke down last year, I stayed warm. Easy to assemble and well worth the money.
Posted By: Backlash 365

Re: Best ice hut - 12/10/2016 05:17 PM

A couple of years ago, I sold my Otter T600 and went with the Clam Nanook Full Thermal. Not having a quad or snowmobile the Otter kicked my butt every time I took it out, not to mention loading it into my truck. I would have to agree with jbuss79, the Clam Nanook is very manageable for one person, but yet big enough for 2 people. If it's an option, I would strongly consider the Full Thermal, it ads a little weight and is a little bit more from a price standpoint, but definitely worth it.

Good luck in your search.
Posted By: Naturboy

Re: Best ice hut - 12/13/2016 12:51 PM

I love the size of my old Fish Trap Pro. Its light weight and fits in my van. I put skis on it to make it easier to pull by hand. The tub sits about a foot above the skis so you don't plow snow with it. perfect size for a one man fish house.
Posted By: Chuck Mason

Re: Best ice hut - 12/14/2016 03:26 PM

It really depends on your style of fishing, whether or not you are going to be walking or pulling with a machine. I still have my 2001 Fish Trap Pro, but I upgraded a couple of years ago to the Kenai Pro, and really like the new Stealth version of it.

If I was going to use the machine and pull a shack where I might have a buddy with me, but mostly would be by myself, I suggest the Yukon X Thermal. Its seat sits higher than the Nanook, which my back likes, but still light enough where I can wrangle it into the back of the truck without too much trouble.

When going out all day with a buddy, then I really like my Voyager TCX, which you cant get anymore, but is available in the full thermal stealth tent. Lots of elbow room, room for two Vexilar's and heater, and can fish two to four holes easily.
Posted By: littlepineguy

Re: Best ice hut - 12/15/2016 09:57 AM

I've got an older Clam Yukon that has served me very well for a lot of years, and last year I picked up an insulated Frabill Citadel. It is a lot bigger, so a beast to pull around by hand if there is any snow. I still like the Yukon if I know I'm going to be walking. Otherwise, the side entry on the Frabill is a pretty cool feature, and insulation is great in any of the brands if you can handle the extra heft.
Posted By: Polardog

Re: Best ice hut - 12/16/2016 11:49 AM

After using both a 'suitcase' style as well as flip-over, i'd definitely recommend with the flip-over just due to the larger fishable area...and spring for the thermal if you can!
Posted By: Scott Seibert

Re: Best ice hut - 12/17/2016 10:07 AM

I use the Clam Scout XL Thermal for a 1 person shelter. Light weight easy to move around and load in truck. The Scout has 1 piece poles so you flip and go to the next spot without having to collapsing the poles. Easy to heat with a Mr. Heater buddy heater with the thermal fabric.
Posted By: WalleyeWyatt

Re: Best ice hut - 12/17/2016 12:22 PM

The Frabill Trekker is pretty light. Otter has the best quality hands down but they're heavy! That being said, Nanooks are light but kinda short, Yukons are a nice medium size, and the new Kenai Stealth is sweet.
Posted By: Big catch

Re: Best ice hut - 12/17/2016 03:08 PM

Eskimo is a really great choice mine has been great!
Posted By: RobG

Re: Best ice hut - 12/27/2016 12:33 AM

I have a Clam Kenai and i love it. For a one person flip over style it is fantastic. No extending poles to worry about freezing or breaking. Just flip and fish. It is light enough to get in and out of my truck by myself. If you are looking for a one man flip over style i highly recommend the Kenai. They also have a thermal version
Posted By: Iceman10

Re: Best ice hut - 12/29/2016 06:34 PM

I have an extinct Jason Mitchell one man , insulated with lights and I added a 12 volt plug to charge my phone . The fabric is awesome on this shack , I have had zero issues with it . I did see a kenia stealth and liked everything except the seat didn't swivel. . I'm holding out to upgrade though
© 2024 Ice Team Forums