Ice Team Forum

Pros and cons of electric auger

Posted By: mrpike1973

Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/20/2016 07:03 PM

Hello, First In no way is my intention to knock any brand I think they all are pretty good. I have been using a 6 inch Nils with a cordless drill works good. I have a power auger that is a 8 inch auger. I have back issues when it hits the end of the hole it jars me sometimes and hurts me. What are the differences in say a Ion verse a k drill etc. I kind of want to sell the power one while its worth something. Would I be happy with just a power hand drill. I really like how light they are. I might need a better hand drill. I do run and gun. Mostly panfish with a few eyes. I remember Genz saying one time a 6 inch hole is perfect. What are your thought's. I want just what works best for you. Thanks so much really like across the ice belt.
Posted By: Stratocasterdave

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/21/2016 08:33 AM

In my opinion there's noting on the market that even comes close to the IceGator.
Posted By: Panfisher78

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/21/2016 12:57 PM

I've got two seasons on the 6" K drill and love it. IMO it's a total game changer. Whenever a bunch of us go fishing I'm the only one that brings an auger anymore. I've used an ION once or twice. Great auger but heavy and the batteries are expensive. I'm using the Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill with my k drill and it's a perfect combo.
Posted By: Brennon

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/22/2016 11:41 PM

I have a strikemaster lithium lazer and absolutely love it. It powers through ice with no problem and we have cut Over 100' of ice on a single charge
Posted By: Ripalip

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/24/2016 01:04 PM

I'm a big fan of the Clam drill conversion auger with a Dewalt 20v XR. This thing is light, fast and reliable.
Posted By: MaineIceFisha

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/25/2016 09:26 PM

I starting using the clam conversion with an eight" nils. Cuts like butter. We didn't have really thick ice last year as it was unusually warm. I could easily drill 40 holes a day. It's a light and nimble set up with out the torque or twisting of a gas auger. I usually bring 2 battery packs for the day.
Posted By: WalleyeWyatt

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/26/2016 11:18 AM

I rock the Milwaukee M18 Fuel along with a 6" Kdrill. I absolutely love how lightweight the setup is. I am hole hopping 90% of the time and its so nice to be able to carry the Vexilar in one hand and the auger in another. Lifetime blade sharpening, lightweight, amazing customer service, drills fast and easy, reopen old holes, switch on reverse to flush slush out of the hole....Nothing but positive remarks on the Kdrill. You wont be dissapointed
Posted By: Frank L Campbell

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/26/2016 11:39 AM

I got the clam conversion kit and 6inch auger late last winter. Set up with a Milwauke fuel m-18 1/2 inch hammer drill. It worked flawlessly on the late season ice. Have to see how it works on fresh ice this winter. It is light to carry and the center blade makes it seem safer as it reduces auger slide at first cutting a hole. Here in Nebraska with little Ice over a foot most times it should be the bomb. It does seem a bit short and will be getting an extension so it fits my height a bit better.
Posted By: mrpike1973

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/26/2016 06:00 PM

I just sold my power auger and got the k drill. Wow does that look cool. Maineicefisha is that 40 holes per battery?. Keeping the Nils as back up just in case I need a handle.
Posted By: Panfisher78

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/26/2016 08:31 PM

I just ordered the new model Clam Drill Plate and the new Milwaukee 9.0 battery for my K-Drill. Should make an already fantastic product even better! At least that's what I tell myself when I buy stuff I don't need.
Posted By: Myfavcolorisblue

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/27/2016 10:55 AM

it's really heavy
Posted By: Kevan Paul

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/27/2016 01:23 PM

Thats the same drill I run. Couldn't be happier!!
Posted By: Scott O.

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 10/27/2016 04:33 PM

I got the Clam conversion kit last season and ended up using it exclusively on nearly every trip when I wasn't targeting walleye or lake trout. Paired with my DeWalt model 790 20v drill, I drilled hundreds of holes last season and never once needed to change out batteries while I was on the ice. It is extremely lightweight, but drills seamlessly through the ice. I used it from 4" of ice to 2' of ice all winter. I would highly recommend giving it a shot!
Posted By: ztownangler

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 12/01/2016 09:21 PM

Will the clam drill plate connect to a Nils convertible auger?
Posted By: Iceman10

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 12/03/2016 08:24 AM

The weight is the biggest issue as I get older ! The K-Drill was the answer! This will be my second season and it truly is a game changer!
Posted By: Wavs

Re: Pros and cons of electric auger - 12/09/2016 03:00 AM

Have the Milwaukee 1/2" drill, thinking about the K Drill, but wondering for the guys that use the regular augers - which brand do you think is best/easiest to match with the clam plate? Not sure which way to go with the auger bit.
© 2024 Ice Team Forums