Ice Team Forum

What's better inline reel or spinning reel

Posted By: Bear

What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/14/2016 07:42 PM

I fish in about 10 to 30 feet deep. I have a new costum rod coming just trying to get the best reel for it.
Posted By: Myfavcolorisblue

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/14/2016 08:03 PM

I use my genz spooler elite inline reel for shallower water usually up to to 20 ft or so depending on the lake. I have the inline on my panfish rod, it's great for reducing line twists so your lure isn't spinning around. This is a major factor in getting those big gills to bite. Many times a spinning lure from twisted line will scare the big gills away. The reason it's better for shallow water is because you have to pull out the line rather than opening the bail. For deep water it takes a bit longer for it to get down. So if your on a hot crappie bite in deep water a spinning reel is faster and more efficient. Definatley would recommend the genz spooler elite inline reel if your into the panfish game!

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/14/2016 08:10 PM

Thanks for the info. The rods I got is for pan fish I think I will look into a inline.
Posted By: Stratocasterdave

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/17/2016 01:14 PM

I switched all my reels to the Frabill 371. Love em and don't see a reason to switch back.

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/19/2016 08:12 PM

I will have check them out
Posted By: Jim Kusuda

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/19/2016 10:08 PM

Kind of wish the Spooler Elite had a release. I need to balance how hard it is to pull line out for the drop against hook set drag.
Posted By: WalleyeWyatt

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/20/2016 11:19 AM

I use the plastic HT ice inlines from walmart. Super super cheap and extremely reliable. I run it loose and use my finger as drag when needed. If you can teach yourself to use your hand as drag and apply different pressures at certain times, its awesome.
Posted By: Brennon

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/20/2016 12:45 PM

i run all eagle claw inlines on my rods. a good cleaning and a carbon drag upgrade and they are champ!! did order me a 13 fishing Freefall to put on my TUCR Precision! pretty excited for that!!

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/21/2016 01:50 PM

I think am sold on trying a inline reel. Can't wait till November when I get my brickers custom micro liner
Posted By: Scott O.

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/21/2016 04:23 PM

I like to use my Eagle Claw and No. 8 CGi inline reels for pannies when fishing in less than 20' of water. I like to use spinning reels when it's deeper than that, though I have used the inline in deeper water before with slightly heavier tungsten jigs.
Posted By: MaineIceFisha

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/25/2016 09:33 PM

I use a 32 fishing black betty inline. Pricey but in my opinion worth the money. An inline will eliminate line twist which will stop your bait/jig from spinning. not all pannies will hit a spinning jig.
Posted By: Frank L Campbell

Re: What's better inline reel or spinning reel - 10/26/2016 11:26 AM

I have become a fan of the spooler elite. It fits so nicely in the hand with a pencil grip. It also back reels so I do not need to depend on the drag, just set the drag light enough that you strip line easily, yet not over spool or free spool. For hook sets just put a finger on the reel rim. For fighting the occasional large crappie or gamefish just back reel or palm the spool rim depending on the strength of the runs the fish makes. This does take a little practice, but one is not constantly resetting the drag. I managed to land a 33 inch northern pike last winter on a spooler and 3lb test line last winter back reeling and palming the spool. Most panfish around 3/4 lb or so just reel em in, very efficient and reduced line twist.
© 2024 Ice Team Forums