12/19/2017 04:58 PM
Minnesota
Matt Johnson Offline OP
Ice Team Manager
Matt Johnson  Offline OP
Ice Team Manager
Ice Team Member

Minnesota
Ice Team Pro, JP Tessier, reports on 12/19...

Welcome back to beautiful Lake of the Woods! Most every resort on the Minnesota side of Lake of the Woods is up and operational for this 2017-2018 ice fishing season. Most of the resort roads are in their early stages, with limited vehicle traffic, but with the cold snap quickly approaching up over the Christmas week, things are about to change. Brian Ney with Adrian’s Resort is constantly monitoring and expanding their ice road on a daily basis. The fishing has been nothing less than stellar for the early birds this season around the confines of Pine Island. The morning and evening bits in that 12-18’ have been excellent, and the day bite has ranged from 23-25’. The glow pink XXL Drop on a dead stick rod has caught the attention of many LOTW Saugers this season, but my glow Chubby Darter tipped with a frozen shiner never gets to rest. We’ve found anywhere from 6” of ice to spots that you can’t even get through with 2 extensions because of sheeted ice. We were able to stake the snowmobile trail to Oak Island, but with the way the big lake froze and broke up and then refroze a few times over, the trail is not very straight, but once you get behind Knight Island it becomes much better for the journey to Oak Island.

Happy Fishing and God Bless

Lake of the Woods Outdoorsman
Jean-Paul Tessier

Good Fishin'
Matt Johnson

Ice Team - "Join the Team"
www.IceTeam.com
Re: Lake of the Woods Report [Re: Matt Johnson] #1809
01/09/2018 04:53 PM
01/09/2018 04:53 PM
Minnesota
Matt Johnson Offline OP
Ice Team Manager
Matt Johnson  Offline OP
Ice Team Manager
Ice Team Member

Minnesota
Ice Team Pro, JP Tessier, reports on 1/9...

Happy New Year from beautiful Lake of the Woods! I would like to start off by thanking everyone that visits our amazing area every ice fishing season. Because of you the legend of Lake of the Woods grows and our local area flourishes with opportunity.

The past few weeks we’ve seen many shore lunch sandwich stackers (Walleyes and Saugers) porpoise through the holes. The bite has been better on the dead stick, rather than jigging. With that said, the 1/8 oz. Silver/Blue Jason Mitchell Rattling Blade Spoon tipped with a couple chunks of frozen Shiner has still out fished any of my other lures. There has been a great bite happening all along the south shore of Lake of the Woods. Currently the best number of fish have still been shallower 18-29’ rather than the 30-34’ we are accustomed to be fishing this time of the season on any other average year. Remember to bring at least 2 extensions for your augers. Hopefully you won’t need them, but there’s a lot of piled ice and I’ve had to break them out on a couple occasions this season already. I’ve found 30” to as much as “I don’t have enough extensions”.

Happy Fishing and God Bless...

Good Fishin'
Matt Johnson

www.IceTeam.com
Re: Lake of the Woods Report [Re: Matt Johnson] #1827
02/01/2018 03:13 PM
02/01/2018 03:13 PM
Minnesota
Matt Johnson Offline OP
Ice Team Manager
Matt Johnson  Offline OP
Ice Team Manager
Ice Team Member

Minnesota
Ice Team Pro, JP Tessier, reports on 1/31/18...

Welcome back to beautiful Lake of the Woods on this, the last day of January 2018. I will start off by say this has been the best fishing season for my Sleepers since the flood in 2014. I don’t know if I can contribute that to the tremendous number of fish we have in Lake of the Woods, or the fact that we have so much jagged/piled ice surrounding our area, out of Baudette, which in my humble opinion is holding some good bait fish. Regardless, our guest are loving it.

Now is the time of year to start exploring the rock piles around Knights, Bridges, Rocky Point, Stoney, Garden, etc...the mud surrounding these rocks should start attracting some nice fish.

Adrian’s ice Road runs out 14 miles right now, but I’m still fishing 2 miles off Pine Island. I’ve heard of some great reports the last few days from out deep in that 33-34’, but I’m still hunkered in 20-30’. The dead stick has been preferred by the fish more than the jig, but I’m a stubborn jigger sometimes to my detriment. It’s been all about the gold and green for me the last two weeks. Lots of shore lunch sandwich stackers have been visiting us and our bellies aren’t complaining.

Happy Fishing and God Bless...

Good Fishin'
Matt Johnson

www.IceTeam.com